- All students holding a Turkish Residency Permit of more than 6 months will automatically be registered at the Turkish Social Security Institution through the centralised system.
- At a national level however, the Turkish Government requires that all international students get a mandatory local health insurance policy with the Turkish Social Security Institution
- (SGK) to enable them to benefit health insurance while in Turkey.
- Students are responsible for their own monthly payments of health insurance contributions.
- The insurance will be valid until the end of the academic year. In order to activate the medical insurance, students should go to the local health authority with:
- Student ID
- Students usually receive an SGK number upon the registration at the health authority.
- NTUN Team & the International Office of the schools are available to help international students in setting up the process.
- All universities in Turkey have a free medical service at their medical centres. It offers advice on emergency treatment and consultations on personal and health matters.
- There is always at least one medical doctor and one nurse working during the week at the health centres of university campuses.
- International students are strongly advised to come to Turkey with a valid health insurance policy.
- International students are responsible for costs of hospitalisation or for any medical service or treatment not available at university health centres.